Monday, August 2, 2010

07/30/2010

Lots of work done today, I spent almost six hours on it. Got the vacuum issue resolved with a set of colored zip ties and a little faith that my pictures will help if I am stuck getting it back together.



I decided to follow the manual for the overall method which involved removing the carbs, intake manifold and head all in one piece. This all seemed to be working out great until I discovered that the combined weight off all of that was too much to lift out of the engine bay by hand. Since I do not have access to a hoist I decided to just take the pieces out one by one the way I had always done it before. The carbs had some very tricky little bolts but once I figured out how to get to them it came off easy. The intake was pretty much the same, just a few pesky bolts and it was off.



The head broke loose like it was not even attached which was not really a surprise considering how much antifreeze was in the oil. I went to lift it out only to discover that I had not disconnected the temperature gauges and so had to dink with the damn oily wires for longer than I would have liked. The problem is many of the connectors are so old that the wires break because the connections are frozen together. I have a few connections that will need to be worked on when this is all going back together.




Overall the head seemed like it might be workable, however, I am worried about the pistons/rings/bearings/seals/etc. There was standing oil/antifreeze in more than one of the cylinders and everything is very, very dirty. I had been told that this engine was a rebuild engine and not the original but I am questioning that now. If it was rebuild it seems like a very sloppy job and likely the cause of all of the issues that it was having. Seeing the bottom end in this kind of condition makes me wonder if it might be worth it to get the block bored and just rebuild the whole thing. I need to do some research on some of the options at this point...

No comments:

Post a Comment